The students in Five White are learning about two-dimensional space. So far we have learnt about the different types of triangles, quadrilaterals and irregular and regular polygons.
- Right-angled triangles have one right angle of 90°.
- Isosceles triangles have two equal sides and two equal angles.
- Equilateral triangles have three equal sides and three equal angles.
- Scalene triangles have three sides that are all different lengths.
Quadrilateral means ‘four sides’, therefore any four sided shape is a quadrilateral.
- A rectangle is a four sided shape where every angle is a right angle and opposite sides are parallel and of equal length.
- A rhombus is a four sided shape where all sides have equal length, opposite sides are parallel and opposite angles are equal.
- A square is a four sided shape that has four equal sides, every angle is 90° and all opposite sides are parallel.
- A parallelogram is a four sided shape with all sides parallel and equal in length and opposite angles are equal.
A polygon is a plane shape (flat shape) with three or more straight sides. E.g. a triangle, hexagon and pentagon.
Regular polygons have equal sides and angles.
The students used the ‘Show Me’ app, cards and computers to practise drawing and explaining the different triangles, quadrilaterals, irregular and regular polygons. Take a look at the videos and the slideshow below.
Log into Studyladder and complete the triangle activities.
Leave a ‘what am I?’ comment for someone to answer about a triangle, quadrilateral, irregular or regular polygon.
E.g. What am I? I have three sides and they are all different lengths.