The students in Five White have been learning about the topic ‘data‘ in Mathematics. They have been learning all about how to construct and interpret column graphs, picture graphs and pie graphs. Column graphs need to have the following.
- X axis (horizontal line)
- Y axis (vertical line)
- X axis label (e.g. Sports)
- Y axis label (e.g. Number of students)
- X axis values (e.g. basketball, netball, soccer…)
- Y axis values (numbers with zero beginning in the corner)
- Columns (equal spaces in between each column)
- A key if necessary
The students participated in different activities, including: using the ‘Show Me’ app on the iPads and constructing column graphs on poster paper, in their mathematics books or on a website. Take a look at our wonderful work.
What activity did you choose and how did it help you to practise constructing a column graph?
Can you suggests any improvements for the posters or the ‘Show Me’ app presentations?
Extra activity: Take a look at Math Warehouse, it is a website to help you create pie graphs.